The scripts I use for blogging with Vim and Hugo

Nearly 4 months ago to the day I setup a publishing workflow for this site that allows me to create, update, and delete content via Google Drive. It’s a setup that has worked flawlessly for me.

In my quest to streamline the blogging process as much as possible, I also wrote a couple of scripts around the same time. The first to create a new post, the second to publish the post currently open in Vim. These too have worked very well, so let’s take a look at them.

Creating a new post

I have the following newpost alias in my .zshrc:

alias newpost='~/bin/hugo-post-create'

hugo-post-create (download) is a Python script that does the following:

  1. It builds the appropriate frontmatter depending on the post type being created — a regular post like this one, a link post, or a micropost — and marks it as a draft.
  2. It creates a new file containing the generated frontmatter in the Google Drive folder that houses all of the content on this site.
  3. Lastly, it opens the new file Vim.

All that’s left for me to do is actually write the post and publish it, which brings us nicely to…

Publishing a post

Once written, a post needs 2 changes made to its frontmatter in order for Hugo to include it when it regenerates the site:

  1. The draft: true line needs to either be removed or set to false.
  2. A date key-value needs to be added, formatted as an “RFC 3339”.

Both of these changes are made by a second script that’s run directly in Vim with this mapping:

" Publish post:
nnoremap <leader>xp :w<bar>silent! %!~/bin/hugo-post-publish<cr>:w<cr>

The mapping breaks down as follows:

  1. Save the file.
  2. Run the hugo-post-publish (download) script and replace the contents of the file with the string returned by the script.
  3. Save the file again.

With the frontmatter updated, all that’s left to do is to wait for Google Drive to sync the change. My server-setup will take care of the rest by pulling down the latest changes made to the shared Google Drive folder then running Hugo to regenerate the site.

Having experimented with a lot of the options out there over the years, I can say that this is without a doubt the lowest-hassle setup I’ve ever had.

Thanks for reading! If you liked this post, you may like others archived in: Blogging, Hugo, Vim. You can keep up to date with new posts by subscribing to the RSS Feed or by following me on Micro.blog.